11.25.2010

This is What The Universe Looks Like

I never realized until today, how unable I was to visualize space.

Despite being an avid fan of Battlestar Galactica and Firefly, I have always pictured a black velvet canopy with little white specks whenever I heard the word "space." Science Fiction uses more imagery than simple stars and emptiness, but I had always assumed that these beautiful giant nebulas were the stuff of, well, science fiction.

But today I visited the NASA website - they have a great Astronomy Picture of the Day archive - and look what I found. Much more than "Twinkle, twinkle, little star. How I wonder what you are."

There is the most beautiful dust and fire you have ever seen.

And only 4% of the universe is made up of matter we are able to perceive.
96% of the universe is missing. It's nothing. We can't find it.

And it's always getting bigger.

Space. Wow.






No comments:

Post a Comment